Burnley had been one of he founding members of the Football
League, and had been playing association football for over 30
close the season before, but all this was to change, the
season after their promotion back to the First Division

Burnley opened their 1913/14 FA Cup Campaign at home to
non-league South Shields and a 3-1 win took them on to the second
round and a home tie against First Division side Derby County.
Burnley had lost against Derby County just weeks before the second
round tie, but that was when the Clarets had to play without one of
their defensive lynch pins, George Halley, In front of 30,000 home
supporters Burnley won 3-2, with a hat trick scored by Teddy

A 3rd round home tie against Bolton Wanderers was their reward,
bot league meetings had resulted in 0-0 draws, ad many expected a
tight, closely contested game, but Burnley ran out easy 3-0 winners in
front of 32,734, but it was the Quarter Final away at Sunderland, that
filled many Burnley supporters with dread. The previous season had
seen the Clarets beaten in a replay by Sunderland at St Andrews in
the Semi Final, and after 0-0 draw again on the 7th March 1914 at
Roker Park, Burnley brought Sunderland back to Turf Moor, but this
time, the Clarets ran out 2-1 winners, with goals from Richard Lindley
and Teddy Hodgson.

After advancing to the semi-final for the second time in two seasons,
Burnley were joined in the Semi Finals by Liverpool, Aston Villa and
Sheffield United, and it was commented on that for Burnley to win the
FA Cup, they would have to defeat 5 First Division teams in six
rounds, a feat that had never been achieved before.

Burnley drew Sheffield United at Anfield, the fitness of Jerry Dawson
had caused many Burnley supporters to worry after he had suffered
an injury in a League game against Newcastle United. Burnley took a
gamble on Jerry Dawson in their Semi Final game, but Dawson
aggravated his injury  and the Clarets limped to a 0-0 draw with 10

The replay at Goodison Park, saw reserve goalkeeper Sewell
replace Dawson, and his heroics in goal, in particularly a save from
Sheffield United's Gillespie fierce drive, and captain Boyle's wonder
goal 17 minutes before the end of the game gave Burnley a 1-0 win
and their first ever FA Cup Final.

Jerry Dawson's injury kept him out of all but the
last league game before the final, but whilst
playing against Manchester City, he aggravated
the injury and became a serious doubt for the
FA Cup final.

The Friday before the final,
Jerry Dawson conceded
defeat against the injury,
and Sewell was informed
that he would deputise.
Burnley fans travelled at
great expense to the capital
taking over 15,000
supporters to Crystal Palace,
where for the first time
ever a reigning monarch
was to attend the FA Cup
Final, when it was announced
King George V would watch
the game between Burnley
and Liverpool.

The final itself was an even
affair, but the deadlock was
broken by Burt Freeman on
50 minutes and despite Liverpool pressing late on, Burnley's
defence held out. The trophy was handed to Tommy Boyle by King
George V, each of the winner's ,medals were wrongly  ingraved with
the details of "English Cup Winners" rather that the FA Challenge
Cup Winners, but that didn't matter too much. Burnley returned to a
heroes welcome, huge crowds accumulated from the railway station
and all along the route to the town hall.

The whole crowd went manic when Tommy Boyle appeared on he
Town Hall balcony to show off the famous trophy, but before the
celebrations could continue, Burnley had to play  their last game of
the season, at Turf Moor against Bradford, and whilst the result was
incidental over 40,000 turned up to cheer Burnley on.

Although Jerry Dawson had not played in the Final, Burnley and the
FA conspired together and minted him a special medal in memory of
his great contribution to Burnley's cause and his selflessness.
Burnley Team
Liverpool Team
Ronnie Sewell
Kenny Campbell
Tom Bamford
Ephraim Longworth
David Taylor
Bob Pursell
George Halley
Tom Fairfoul
Tommy Boyle (C)
Bob Ferguson
Billy Watson
Donald McKinley
Billy Nesbit
Jackie Sheldon
Dick Lindley
Arthur Metcalfe
Bert Freeman (1)
Tom Miller
Teddy Hodgson
Billy Lacey
Eddie Mosscrop
Jimmy Nicholl
Burnley 1
Liverpool 0
April 25 1914 @
Crystal Palace
Attendance 72,778
Referee: H S
John Haworth
Tom Watson