(c) 2007 Clarets Museum Copyright
At the time of the 1947 FA Cup Final Burnley were a second
build a young side out of the remnant's of the Pre-War Burnley
team, players Like Harry Potts and George Bray were
supplemented by new blood like Peter Kippax.

The campaign lead to Burnley winning promotion back to the First
Division and their second FA Cup Final, and their first at Wembley.
Their Journey started with a visit by First Division side Aston Villa, in
the middle of January, and although Villa where higher placed in the
League, Burnley were fitter and creative than their rivals, and won out
comfortably 5-1, both Billy Morris and Ray Harrison scored two goals
each with Harry Potts scoring the other, and Peter Kippax running
the show for Burnley.

The next team to face Burnley were fellow Second Division side
Coventry City, who travelled to Turf Moor on 25 January 1947, and
were beaten 2-0 with a goal apiece from Jackie Chew, and Harry
Potts  on a frozen pitch.

On February 8th Burnley travelled to another Second Division side,
Luton Town, and a draw brought the tie back to Turf Moor, and 3
days later Burley triumphed with a 3-0 win, Billy Harrison scoring a
hat-trick, to book a Quarter Final draw at Middlesbrough.

Middlesbrough where to be Burnley's second top flight team during
the run to Wembley, and the game at Ayresome Park, started badly
for the Clarets, with Geoff Walker putting 'Boro 1-0 and sending most
of the 53,000 crowd wild, but Burnley dominated the remainder of the
game, and hit the bar twice before Billy Morris struck in the 80th
minute, to take the tie into a replay.

The Winter of 1946/47 had been particularly bad, and the season
had been forced to run until the first week of June, the bad weather
forced the referee of Quarter Final replay to delay announcing that
the game would be able to be played until after 1 pm on the day of
the game, which caused massive problems for the huge amount of
fans attempting to attend the game, and the kick off was duly

A full 40 minutes late, the game kicked off and after pulsating 90
minutes yielded no goals, extra time was played, and a Billy Morris
goal, from a Tommy Cummings free kick settled the tie.

The Semi Final was to be played against soon to be League
Champions Liverpool at Ewood Park, the home of Burnley's most
fierce rivals, Blackburn Rovers. 53,000 fans attended a tense game,
where neither team could force the breakthrough, and Burnley had to
settle for another replay.

This time Maine Road, the home of Manchester City played host to
the Semi Final, and 72,000 fans from all over Lancashire came to
watch the game, which was won with a Ray Harrison goal from a
corner. Sending Burnley to only tier second FA Cup Final.

Burnley fans mobbed the team on their return all along the journey
from Manchester back to Burnley, thousands of fans turned out to
wave and cheer the team as they passed back into the town.

A lot of the success was attributed to Cliff Britton's training regime,
where the team travelled to Southport for a special training camp,
they attended this training camp a week before every round of their
FA Cup journey, apart from the Final.

The rush for Final tickets was astounding, the allocation of 12,000
was quickly snapped up my season ticket holders, and even some
none season ticket holders, who had managed to trick the cub into
supplying a Final ticket for the return of a stub from the1939/40
season ticket, which was identical to the stub to be used from the
new season ticket book.

Burnley travelled down to London, and most fans slept in various
tube stations around the famous Wembley ground the night before
the game.

On a hot and sunny day at Wembley, Burnley played well, but
struggled to convert a number of good scoring chances, and the
game ventured into extra time. 22 minutes into extra time, Chris
Duffy, Charlton's Outside-left volleyed in a spectacular winner,
breaking Burnley fan's hearts at the same time.

After the game, it became apparrent that Peter Kippax, an amature
player, was struck down with a fever and temperature of over 100
degrees, which may have been an attributing facter in his poor
showing in the Final

The Burley team had been beaten on the day, but that did not mean
that the Clarets' fans did not welcome home the side like conquoring
heroes, and as the team toured the town on an open top bus,
Burnley's supporters turned out in great numbers.

Upon speaking to the crowd Club captain Alan Brown was saluted
by the crowd, when he stated "Everyone of you is a wholehearted
supporter of Burnley Football Club and I need hardly say that I am
very, very proud not only to play for the club, but to belong to Burnley.
Naturally, we are just a little disappointed that we can't please you
more by bringing back the Cup, but we have the consolation at least
of knowing that in future matches we have to play, we have your
confidence behind us and your wholehearted support, and with that I
a sure we will get promoted."

Burnley indeed won promotion that year.
Burnley Team
Charlton Athletic Team
Jim Strong
Sam Bartram
Arthur Woodruff
Peter Croker
Harold Mather
Jack Sheeve
Reg Attwell
Bert Johnson
Alan Brown (C)
Harold Phipps
George Bray
Bill Whittaker
Jack Chew
Gordon Hurst
Billy Morris
Tommy Dawson
Ray Harrison
Bill Robinson
Harry Potts
Don Welsh (C)
Peter Kippax
Chris Duffy (1)
Burnley 0
Charlton Athletic 1 (AET)
April 26 1947 @
Wembley Stadium
Attendance 99,000
Referee: J M
Cliff Britton
Jimmy Seed