(c) 2007 Clarets Museum Copyright
Arthur Woodruff lost a large part of his playing career to the
Second World War, but he managed to play a huge part of the
famous "Iron Curtain" defence which got to the
1947 FA Cup
Final and won promotion that same year.

In 1936, Arthur Woodruff made his Burnley debut, after a set of
strange circumstances, when Burnley scouts had travelled to
Bradford City to watch another player, but they were advised to take
a look at Arthur Woodruff, who had just been released, and he
signed on for the Clarets shortly after.

He had done the rounds in his native Yorkshire, playing for
Huddersfield, Halifax Town and Selby Town, before joining Bradford,
but failed to make the first team in any of those teams.

3 years after his debut, war broke out, and Arthur Woodruff had to
wait until the 1946/47 season to resume his career, but what a
season to return to football. In that season Arthur Woodruff would only
miss 2 League games on Burnley's promotion march back to the
First Division, and he played in every one of the FA Cup games,
including the Final.

Cliff Britton moved Arthur Woodruff to right back from centre of
defence, just before the start of the war, and then added like minded
Harold Mather as the opposite full back. Both player were never
known for their attacking prowess, but did make the defence as
tough to break as any seen at Turf Moor.

Arthur Woodruff, represented the Football League twice at
international level in 1947, but failed to get a cap for England.

In 1948-49 and at 36 years old, Arthur Woodruff lost his place to Joe
Loughran, but his determination and will to win pushed him to win
back his position before the end of the season.

He remained a Burnley player until May 1952, when aged 39 he left
the club, moving on to manage and play for Workington, before
moving to manage and play for Northwich Victoria, before taking up
coaching appointments with Cliftonville and Tranmere Rovers.

Arthur Woodruff returned to live in Burnley, owning a greengrocery
business and the at Burnley General Hospital as a porter. Arthur
Woodruff died at home on 5 January 1986, .
Arthur Woodruff
12 April 1913 @ Bradford
Burnley Appearances:
Burnley Goals:
International Caps:
Other Teams:
Huddersfield Town